rpm-list@redhat.com

RE: Vendor created RPM naming. Wichmann, Mats D Fri Jul 20 18:01:11 2007

If you felt like justifying your choices by following an actual
published guideline, you could look here
(see in particular the 4th bullet which matches what you're already
doing).

http://refspecs.freestandards.org/LSB_3.1.0/LSB-Core-generic/LSB-Core-ge
neric/pkgnameconv.html

________________________________

        From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Ace Nimrod
        Sent: Thursday, July 19, 2007 11:55 AM
        To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        Subject: Vendor created RPM naming.

        We provide our product as a set of RPMs for RedHat 4/CentOS 4
(and soon 5) and we require some RPMs that are upgrades of the base
RPMs.  To prevent conflicts we install all our packages in
/opt/<vendorname> and prefix all RPM packages with <vendorname>.  This
will prevent us from overwriting any other RPMs, as well as RPMs
overwriting ours.

        Is this sane?

        So for example, we provide our own foobar package which is an
upgrade to foobar in CentOS 4, we'd name it like..
          <myvendor>.foobar-1.2.3-1.el4

        Is there a better approach to take with this?  So far it seems
to work just fine.

        Thanks.