rpm-list@redhat.com

Re: installing a second gcc on the same machine devzero2000 Mon Jul 14 19:02:05 2008

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 4:40 PM, James Olin Oden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 10:15 AM, Mark Ryden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hello,
>
>  I want to be able to build a kernel module of FC6 on an FC9 machine,
> I build the module on the FC9 machine against an FC6 kernel tree.
> However, when I insmod it, I get an error: it expects it to be built
> agains the gcc version of FC6.
>
> I want to keep the gcc of FC9.
>
> I tried to install the fc6 gcc rpm, with -force, but this seems to
> overwrite the previous version.
>
> My question is: is there a way to install two gcc rpms on the same
machine?

You can use -i, --badreloc and --relocate (see rpm's man page).  With
the proper use of these you'll get the other gcc rpm installed off
in some other directory like /opt/gcc-fc6.

No, gcc on FC or RHEL is not relocatable, so --relocate doesn't work (as it
is written in the rpm's man page).
In this case the best option is to build an "compact-gcc-x.y.z" on FC9,
where x.y.z are  the  gcc release of FC6:
look at  an  example SRPMS of compact-gcc in FC  or  RHEL4.

JMHO, YMMV

hth