ruboss-framework@googlegroups.com

[ruboss-framework] Re: BlazeDS, JRuby and server push sejensen Thu Jan 08 01:00:46 2009

Hi Dima

Thank you very much for your reply!

As a comment I can say that there seems to be no problem with using
JRuby and Ruboss together, got that to work yesterday.

I know it is a bit of an overhead to go from ruby to java to blazeds,
but I really like the performance improvement in using AMF, compared
to xml we generally see about 10x increase, and the payload is also
smaller so flex will require less bandwith and internet connection
speed and the app will still be quite responsive.

The reason I asked how to use BlazeDS is that Ruboss fokuses on
request-response way of communicating, but I am seeing an tendency of
moving towards messaging with producer consumer, and would really like
to include this technique in our new app. We are allready using
blazeds with java apps and flex as frontend, with "live" update in the
client, and it seems as a step back to use request-response. See
perhaps http://gojko.net/2009/01/06/messaging-is-not-just-for-investment-banks/

And at RailsConf 2008 in Berlin several speakers talked about how they
used messaging protocols like stomp with rails as a backend and
divided big apps into several smaller apps and one client perhaps in
javascript that collected the small apps functionality into one. This
way they could scale the parts of the application that needed to be
scaled and still keep the total amount of used resources low as well
as have a quite responsive client.

Hope that this rampling gives some sort of meaning.

Thanks again
Steffen