ruboss-framework@googlegroups.com

[ruboss-framework] Re: the future of the framework Robert Malko Thu Jan 15 05:00:30 2009

Guys,

Congrats on the new name, and the direction of taking this towards the
MIT category.  I think these are both two excellent steps in getting
your product out to the masses.  I'd also like to thank Dima for
putting in a lot of hard work on documentation already, as I've found
it increasingly easy to find the help I'm looking for without
bothering him.

Let me dance around some random thoughts for a moment:

restfulX is an interesting name, as it rolls off the tongue in a fun
way, and it doesn't seem to be used for anything else out there right
now.  As someone who considers himself to have some minor design
skill, I would love to take a few stabs at coming up with some logo
ideas but first ask if you think the restful nature of your product
should be the main focal point.  To me, your tools are about a lot
more than just the restful paradigm, AND to some degree, the fact that
it's a Flex centric restful framework is very unique.  I'm just trying
to stir some thought process of how you would envision communicating
the word restfulX, as Peter's second recommendation of "rest fulex"
speaks more words to me.

Anyway, that was a lot of random babble.  On to some ideas for the
product:

I've been doing a lot of work on my schema_to_yaml plugin, and have
come up with some interesting thoughts on better utilizing the
model.yml file and a custom yml file to give lots of flex-ability (no
pun intended) in creating your restfulX applications.  You can take a
look at http://github.com/malkomalko/schema_to_yaml/tree/master.  The
main thing to note here is that I drew big inspiration from your
model.yml examples where you would have a - HasMany: [Model1, Model2,
Model3].  In my mind, I was thinking method definition's in yml.  This
is how I figured out a good way to do HasManyThrough:
(has_many_through: [permissions, roles]).  Utilizing this type of
method definition, you can extract out the information and store it
into an array.  All you have to do then, is check for the size of the
array and you can do some pretty incredible things through code
generation.

I have many more ideas planned for this type of YAML Method Syntax (as
I'm calling it), and really think some more work and fine tuning could
really close a lot of gaps.  For instance, I have it now where you can
set which attachment plugin you use via a settings file, throw in an
attachment_field: [avatar] in your model.yml file (Or it'll just
introspect your database if you already have a schema to dump out the
proper model.yml) and know to give you all the right actionscript so
file uploads just work immediately.

My main goal with this, is to include ui code snippets/layouts, for a
wide variety of ui-design-patterns.  Things like sortable tree grids,
comment bubbles, parent > child selection... etc.  After building up a
big library of these type of patterns, it would be really easy to
throw together a very powerful generated application.

Thoughts?  restfulX stays out of your way so much, and is so elegant
and giving you the power to do whatever you need to hit a database/
service, that I feel like this type of work to make the code
generation top of the line, is a good logical next step.

Cheers!