sage-devel@googlegroups.com

Re: [sage-devel] Review delegation William Stein Wed May 25 22:01:20 2011

2011/5/25 Tom Boothby <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> In the past, I've sent out a few dozen emails to people to urge
> developers to do more reviews.  They usually look something like,
>
> """Hi ___,
>
> Please take a minute and look at the following tickets:
>
>   SAGE Notebook leaves dead processes on OS X
>   http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/1
>
>   Notebook locking
>   http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/2
>
> Could you please review them?  There's no obligation, but if you
> choose not to review any/all of these, please notify me so I can
> re-delegate the review to another.
>
> Thanks,
>   -- Tom"""
>
> These worked really well, and since the number of tickets needing
> review has been getting out of control, I figured I should send some
> more out.  But... it's a really repetitive task, and I've done it at
> least twice before.  So,  I've written a script to generate review
> requests.  It's not going to be as well thought out as my previous
> delegations, but this is a good first step to an automated system.
>
> The missing part is a way to go between usernames and full names, and
> make a list of email addresses.  Then, we could set this up on a cron
> job to blast out review requests every month.
>
> I think the results of it are pretty good (modulo some silly name
> issues).  It works by collecting authors/reviewers that contribute to
> various components, and then distributing open tickets in each
> component across those contributors (trying to avoid author/review
> conflict).
>
> I've attached the script "review_delegation.py" and the results of
> running the script.
>
> Comments?  In the past, people had very positive reactions to these
> emails, and they got a lot of good work done.  Would it somehow become
> more offensive if they were automated?

This is similar to nagbot, which I wrote for the same purpose in a few
hours at a Sage days in Leiden:

   http://sage.math.washington.edu/home/wstein/nagbot/

People found it annoying.  But it's better than nothing.

We need something like ask.sagemath.org, but for ticket reviewing!

-- William

--
William Stein
Professor of Mathematics