sage-devel@googlegroups.com

Re: [sage-devel] Re: openssh versus gnutls William Stein Thu Dec 29 02:01:00 2011

On Dec 13, 2011 10:06 AM, "Jason Grout" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 12/13/11 12:00 PM, William Stein wrote:
>>

>> On Dec 13, 2011 1:12 AM, "Jan Groenewald" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>> <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> wrote:
>>  >
>>  > Hi William
>>  >
>>  > On 13 December 2011 10:30, William Stein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>> <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> wrote:
>>  >>
>>  >> Hi Sage-devel,
>>  >>
>>  >> I just tried building Sage on Linux Mint 12, and it fails when
>>  >> building Python with:
>>  >>
>>  >> ...
>>  >> math module imported OK
>>  >> hashlib module imported OK
>>  >> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>  >>  File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
>>  >> ImportError: No module named crypt
>>  >> crypt module failed to import
>>  >> Error: One or more modules failed to import.
>>  >> You may have to install 'dpkg-architecture'
>>  >
>>  >
>>  > apt-get install dpkg-dev and try again?
>>  >
>>  > See http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/11447
>>  >
>>  > Which should all be fixed after migrating sage to python2.7.
>>
>> But is that dpkg-dev business all about getting python to find and link
>> in the systemwide libcrypto,  which is openssl?   If so,  then we have a
>> problem.
>

> Why is it a problem for the user to link GPL software with openSSL on
their own system?  We aren't distributing, they aren't distributing it
(unless they are making a binary for someone, I guess---that might be a big
problem).

We are distributing.  I clearly don't understand what you mean at all.

> According to http://people.gnome.org/~markmc/openssl-and-the-gpl.html
>
> "Now, the GPL also contains a "special exception" which allows your
GPL-ed program to link against GPL incompatible libraries which are shipped
as part of the operating system that the executable runs on:"

http://groups.google.com/group/sage-devel