sage-devel@googlegroups.com

Re: [sage-devel] Re: Solve produces inconsistent results when a dummy variable is involved William Stein Fri Apr 06 16:00:48 2012

On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 3:27 PM, rjf <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I think this was posted twice, and the version I answered (and my
> answer)
> were deleted..
>
> Anyway, this report does not reveal a bug in Maxima's solve. The
> poster
> agrees the answer is mathematically correct.

It's definitely not a bug in solve.

> It is a bug in doctest.

No it's not.

>  Further, I suspect it is a substantial design
> flaw in the doctest concept, not amenable to a simple patch.

No it is isn't. See the ticket for an explanation:

It does suggest we may want to consider reseting Maxima's counter for
dummy variables before calling solve.  RJF, how does one do that in
Maxima?