tivocentral@yahoogroups.com

Re: [TiVo Central] Do I need a phone line? Can I share over WiFi between TiVo HD and TiVo premier? MegaZone Mon Jun 21 08:00:46 2010

On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 09:22, Jim Robertson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  On the TiVo website, I see G and N wireless adapters, but no bridge
> devices.
> Is TiVo¹s branded 802.11n bridge device not released for sale yet?

The 802.11n 'wireless adapter' is a bridge.  It connects to the Ethernet
port on the TiVo, not the USB port.

> My router is an Apple AirPort Extreme Base Station. It has 4 autosensing
> 1000bT Ethernet ports, and it allows wireless ³G² devices to operate on the
> 2.4 GHz band, ³N² devices on (I think) 5.5 GHz so that ³G² devices don¹t
> throttle back communications between ³N² devices. Perhaps they all do this.

11n operates on 2.4GHz and/or 5GHz.  Not all devices are dual-frequency, but
many are.  2.4GHz allows compatibility with 11b & 11g, 5GHz is the same as
11a.

> I also have an Apple Airport Express ³N² device, which can operate as a
> bridge OR a router. It has a single 1000bT Ethernet port. I THINK I could
> connect this to a 4-port switch in my entertainment cabinet and run
> Ethernet
> patch cables between the bridge and my TiVo, PlayStation, and (if needed at
> some point) the TV itself. Is that correct?

If it is setup as a bridge, talking to the base station, you should be able
to connect it to an Ethernet switch to allow multiple devices to connect to
it
.

> Thanks so much for the advice. I plan to avoid the PowerLine stuff if
> possible. Netgear markets at least 4 flavors of such devices, and even its
> own devices don¹t all communicate with one another.

Yeah, there are a few different specs and each generation is not necessarily
backwards compatible.

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] / [EMAIL PROTECTED] Geek, Gweep, Technophile, me.
www.GizmoLovers.com / www.MegaZone.org / www.Eyrie-Productions.com Hail Eris