torqueusers@supercluster.org

Re: [torqueusers] Hogging Nodes Prakash Velayutham Fri Mar 20 09:00:29 2009

What is the program you are running? May be it already supports this.

Prakash

On Mar 20, 2009, at 10:55 AM, Sarah Mulholland wrote:

There are a lot of great suggestions, but none seem to fit our situation exactly. Yes, we only want to affect the usage in question (a particular program or two). In the general case we want all processors on all nodes to be available.

The ppn=2 solution might be the best approach if we could write a little bit of software to make half the jobs do nothing.

Thank you to everyone who replied.

Sarah

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, March 19, 2009 5:07 PM
To: Sarah Mulholland
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [torqueusers] Hogging Nodes

From: Prakash Velayutham [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, 20 March 2009 1:45 AM
To: Sarah Mulholland
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

May be

NODEACCESSPOLICY SINGLEJOB

will do?

Prakash

On Mar 18, 2009, at 7:47 PM, Sarah Mulholland wrote:

I sent this question to the maui group over a week ago, but there was no answer. Perhaps this question is more appropriate to the torque group.

I am running the maui scheduler 3.2.6 patch level 16 with torque 2.1.6. I am looking for a way to submit a job on some number of nodes, say 10. In addition to running on 10 nodes, I want exclusive use of those nodes. Is there a property I can set to allow that kind of scheduling? So far I'm
submitting jobs with

           "-l nodes=10:ppn=1"

Specifically I have a job that needs to run on 10 processors all on
different nodes. We have two processors per node. The JOBNODEMATCHPOLICY EXACTNODE makes sure our job gets what it needs, but I want to prevent
anything else from running on the second processor of the 10 nodes.

Is there a "don't-share-the-nodes" modifier that I can set on the job
submission?  In the maui.cfg?

Hi Sarah,

You seem to have the solution now, but this will globally affect all jobs and this may not be desirable if you have a mixed workload. You could use the softer approach of submitting the jobs in question with "-l nodes=10:ppn=2" and then just only running 10 processes. You may need to customize your options used with mpi in this case, but it would only affect the usage in question and not all users.

Cheers,

Gareth