torqueusers@supercluster.org

Re: [torqueusers] sporadic scp failures Joshua Bernstein Wed Feb 17 11:00:51 2010

Jeff,

        Have you looked through the pbs_mom log files, or even
/var/log/messages on the
headnode? You might be running into a situation where either pbs_mom or sshd
(on
the headnode) is running out of open file descriptors. If you're using bash
shell, you have a look at the maximum number of open files per process using:

$ ulimit -n
1024

Generally this number is set to 1024 by default, but if you have a large
cluster, and the headnode is rather busy, SSHD may not be able to fork() in
order to receive the incoming SCP connection.

-Joshua Bernstein
Senior Software Engineer
Penguin Computing