torqueusers@supercluster.org

[torqueusers] TORQUE 4.0 and hwloc DuChene, StevenX A Tue Apr 03 20:00:09 2012

I installed hwloc-1.4.1 and hwloc-devel-1.4.1 rpms on the server where I am
building torque-4.X and in looking through the output from the configure script
during the build I do not see anywhere that the existence of any hwloc stuff is
checked. In fact in grepping through the output from the whole torque rpm build
process I do not see ANY mention of hwloc at all.

I see compile time flags of HWLOC_CFLAGS and HWLOC_LIBS mentioned in the -help
output from configure but according to the description text this is just
supposed to over-ride the pkg-config results however I do not see any evidence
that the pkg-config system is being quizzed at all for the existence of hwloc
on the build server.

Is there some step I am missing?

I thought someone mentioned that there would be better documentation of the
hwloc business in the torque-4.0.1 release?

If so where is it?
--
Steven DuChene

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of David Beer
Sent: Monday, March 19, 2012 8:54 AM
To: Torque Users Mailing List
Subject: Re: [torqueusers] TORQUE 4.0 Officially Announced

Steve,

Hwloc is now required for running cpusets in TORQUE, and it helps out a lot
both in immediate use and in groundwork for future features.

Immediately hwloc gives you a better cpuset because it gives you the next core
instead of the next indexed core. For example: many eight core systems have
processors 0, 2, 4, and 6 next to each other and processors 1, 3,  5, and 7
next to each other. If you're running a pre-4.0 TORQUE, and you have two jobs
on the node, each with 4 cores, job 1 will have 0-3 and job 2 will have 4-7. In
TORQUE 4.0, job 1 will have 0, 2, 4, and 6, and job 2 will have 1, 3, 5, and 7.
This should help speed up processing times for jobs (NOTE: only if you have
this kind of system and a comparable job layout, I'm not promising a general
speed-up to everyone using cpusets). This should also allow us to properly
handle hyperthreading for anyone that has it turned on and wishes to use it.

The last immediate feature is if you have SMT (simultaneous multi-threading)
hardware. The mom config variable $use_smt was added. By default, the use of
SMT is enabled, but you can tell your pbs_mom to ignore them (not place them in
the cpuset) using by adding

$use_smt false

to your mom config file

For the future, the hwloc threads make it really easy for us to handle hardware
specific requests. One of the coming features for TORQUE is to allow requests
roughly similar to:

socket=2:numa=2 --with-hyperthreads

which would say to spread the job over 2 sockets, and across the 2 numa nodes
on each socket. This is a feature we plan to add to improve support for
Magny-Cours and Opteron type processors that have multiple sockets and or
multiple numa nodes on the processor chip. Using hwloc makes it so we don't
have to parse system files and map the indices to the sockets and/or numa nodes
ourselves, we can simply use easy hwloc functions like
hwloc_get_next_obj_inside_cpuset_by_type() that allow you to just move on to
the next physical core or virtual core, or skip to the next socket or numa node
as the case may be.

David
On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 8:47 AM, DuChene, StevenX A <[EMAIL