turbogears@googlegroups.com

Re: [TurboGears] Re: Install trouble on Ubuntu 11.10 Server Michael Pedersen Fri Apr 06 22:00:07 2012

Sorry for taking so long. Been wrapping up my Friday.

We recommend using virtualenv. Strongly. virtualenv allows for what amounts
to a private installation of Python, giving *only* the packages that are
required to run TG itself. There's no automation of it, either. Instead of
runing /usr/bin/python you would run (for example)
/home/user/myproject/bin/python

And that's all the automation required. If you're using mod_wsgi, you point
it at *that* installation of Python instead of the default system
installation. It really does make life much easier for managing the
installation of TG or, indeed, of any other complex Python program. Check
out its description and documentation at
http://pypi.python.org/pypi/virtualenv

I promise you that once you start using it, and see the benefits, you're
not going to want to install any Python program any other way.

Now, to address your other issue, the "conflicting" packages: setuptools
(and distribute, and pip) all support the idea of namespace'd packages. As
a result, you can have packages that look like they're going to conflict,
but in reality are actually loaded into the correct place in the hierarchy,
allowing to do exactly what has been done with the repoze packages.

Now, I need to get to releasing 2.1.5. Pretty sure I just need to make the
announcement, push the tags, and let it fly.

On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 5:18 PM, Jim Carroll <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Apr 6, 5:16 pm, Jim Carroll <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I'm on a dedicated machine.  It's a virtual machine with a dedicated
> > environment.
> > If I created a virtual ____environment____... I'd have to automate that
> at boot
> > time and all that.
>
> I activate my own virtual environment on my personal machine all the
> time.
> But this server is going to just have one project on it ever.

Michael J. Pedersen
My Online Resume: http://www.icelus.org/ -- Google+ http://plus.ly/pedersen
Google Talk: [EMAIL PROTECTED] -- Twitter: pedersentg