ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Re: Ping: Liam re: Newer kernel backports for 10.04 Ric Moore Tue Feb 21 19:00:46 2012

On 02/21/2012 08:58 AM, Jeff G. wrote:
On 02/20/2012 10:08 PM, Ric Moore wrote:
On 02/20/2012 11:55 PM, Jeff G. wrote:
On 02/15/2012 08:24 AM, Liam Proven wrote in another thread:
> If you're still running "Lucid", 10.04, and are having driver problems
> or something, there are now 3 different newer kernels available.

<snip>

> If you look in Synaptic (or the package manager of your choice), you
> should see (for example):
>
> linux-image-generic-lts-backport-natty
>
> and the matching linux-image-generic-pae-backport-natty and
> linux-image-server-backport-natty.

Long story short:

Running U 10.04 - with the last 2 kernel upgrades, my old nVidia card
started losing contact - losing high graphic effects settings regularly.
Best I could figure, problem was either GTK, compiz, my driver install
in the kernel (s) or 1 of a few bugs.
So for giggles, I went and installed the 3.0 kernel - it would only boot
into low graphic mode. So I went for the latest nv 96 from their site
(manual) which complained a few times but installed,

lsmod shows nvidia being used by 22

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$ lspci | grep VGA
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV17 [GeForce4 MX
420] (rev a3)

I have nvidia.ko in /lib/modules/3.0.0-15-generic/kernel/drivers/video/

Using xfce, graphics seem fine - have purged compiz for xfwm.

xorg says
Section "Device"
Identifier "Device0"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"

Jockey can't detect the driver at all - do I need to worry about that?

Run nvidia-settings. Set up your video specs, click on whatever options
you feel you need to use, then click on the save configuration button to
save the entire /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.

nvidia did that itself upon install - it found and modified the old one.

Not completely. That was my point. It does just a plain Jane job suitable for most machines, not your's specifically, just to get you basically running. YOU asked, you got answers. Please try them, as there is the remote chance there is some validity to what I wrote from years of using nothing but nVidia and Linux. I know, it can sometimes be a bear.

You should have a lot more in that file than you showed.

I do - I was only addressing nvidia recognition by everything but jockey.

Right, the xorg.conf file has nothing to do with Jockey detecting anything. Even using Jockey I have yet to see it set up my xorg.conf configuration properly.

That completes the install. With that new
kernel you probably need to to a serious update to your system as well.

Only serious update I can see is something over U 10.04 - all packages
are up to date per Canonical - Thunderbird and Firefox beyond the
versions offered in Synaptic.

Then reboot and see what you have. Ric

The direct from nVidia .run file install puts stuff in places differently than Ubuntu/Jockey does. That is most likely why jockey doesn't see it. No matter, you still need to run the nvidia-setup to tailor your personal setup to your machine and video displays, especially if you have two or more monitors. Best of all, it can't hurt and costs you nothing but 3-4 minutes. This will insure that you have your driver working with your graphics adapter and your monitor 100%. I wouldn't steer you wrong, Heh, then you won't care what Jockey thinks! Ric