ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Re: Ping: Liam re: Newer kernel backports for 10.04 Ric Moore Tue Feb 21 20:00:45 2012

On 02/21/2012 06:42 PM, Jeff G. wrote:
On 02/21/2012 08:52 AM, Liam Proven wrote:

<snip>

Everything seems fine, just jockey doesn't see the driver. I'm
thinking the
> manual install had a thing to do with that.
Ric's suggestions looked good to me.

What model of nVidia GPU is it? I have seen problems recognising and
configuring older cards that don't work with the latest drivers before
- but not for some years. TBH though I don't have any such old cards
still in use, so I cannot say if the problems have been resolved or
not.

Its an old geforce4 mx 420 - don't go there, it works just fine for me
on this old box and it will handle TV and dual monitors if I so desire.

Ric's suggestions were all good but already covered - don't know how he
thought I got there w/o doing all he suggested already.

I wasn't clairvoyant and you didn't mention it, that's how. So, I was offering up what I figured you needed to know. But, with 64 megs of memory I don't think I'd strain it too much. Compiz would strain it to the max for sure. My own un-asked-for suggestion would to be run something real lightweight for your desktop, so you have something left over for applications. Especially if that is a laptop where you can't just jam a newer video card in it for $26. Peace, Ric