ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Re: Ping: Liam re: Newer kernel backports for 10.04 Ric Moore Tue Feb 21 23:00:29 2012

On 02/22/2012 01:20 AM, Jeff G. wrote:
On 02/21/2012 07:55 PM, Ric Moore wrote:

<snip>

Compiz would strain it to the max for sure.

I agree but strain only showed in past 2 kernels - no biggee

My own un-asked-for suggestion would to be run something real
lightweight for your desktop, so you have something left over for
applications.

hence xfce, tho lightweight is relative...

Lubuntu is supposed to be lighter, but I prefer XFCE myself. Yup, it's al relative, I first ran Linux on a 486 with less system memory than your video card has. That was light weight.

Especially if that is a laptop where you can't just jam
a newer video card in it for $26. Peace, Ric

don't think $26 will get anything nVidia but haven't looked - I'm just
getting as many miles out of this old Dell carcass as I can while I put
together a custom box.

Amazon has that one. WITH a video out.
http://www.amazon.com/Brand-NVIDIA-Geforce-FX5500-Graphics/dp/accessories/B001OFPM80
I figured that was important to you to have the TV plug from what you wrote. I ran two monitors with no sweat on mine.

Shoot, I bought a newer 9400-GT with a gig of memory for $80 and now it's down to around $45, but that is PCI-E, fanless with a HUGE heat sink. They're cheap, but not as in cheaply made.

We got a bunch of Dells that have even worse graphics at our non-profit office. We're talking Trident. <sighs> Ric