users@maven.apache.org

Re: using build profiles for WAR plugin Sebastian Otaegui Wed Feb 29 22:00:19 2012

One of the uses of profiles is to have different maven runtime
configurations for running different plugin configurations based on them.

See these examples
https://github.com/jbossas/jboss-as/blob/master/pom.xml
https://github.com/jboss/jboss-parent-pom/blob/master/pom.xml

If you still insist on doing what you are saying one option is to do a
multimodule project.

like this:

- top level (parent pom where you define your modules)
          ---------  your "vanilla" war (your "real" webapp)
          ---------  your "qa" war
          ---------  your "prod" war

both the "qa" and "prod" war are built using the maven-war-plugin with the
overlay feature.
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-war-plugin/examples/war-overlay.html

The people that maintains CAS (JASIG) are using that methodology.