users@maven.apache.org

Re: Avoiding duplicate POM code: profiles, inheritance, properties Ron Wheeler Mon Apr 02 08:00:56 2012

It sounds like you are describing the usage of a parent POM.
A parent is a project specific POM that ideally carries your plug-in versions, deployment information and code versions for all of the POMs in the maven projects that makes up your application. Some of this is properties and some is full specifications.

This puts these decisions under the control of the project team and reduces the concerns of the individual developers and shrinks the maven project POMs by a lot.

You should read the docs on the usage of parent POMs.

Remember
1) A lot of people have built whatever it is that you are doing and there are Best Practices for doing it. 2) Maven has a very particular way of doing things and until you comply, you will be in a constant losing battle. "Resistance is futile".

Have a look at the list of Maven PMC members and the committers to see the quality of advice that you are getting.

Ron