velocity-user@jakarta.apache.org

Upgrade to velocity 1.5 - a few questions Peter Locke Tue Jun 12 00:10:44 2007

I would like to upgrade to velocity 1.5 from 1.4 and take advantage of the
fixes and improvements.   I have a few questions:

1) I would like to remove the now deprecated VelocityServlet, however the
size and scope of our webapp and the number of different servlets extending
VelocityServlet means it would be impossible to migrate everything to the
recommended structure of VelocityViewServlet.   Is it possible to extend
VelocityViewServlet instead of VelocityServlet with no (or minimal) ripple
impact to the subclasses?  If not what is the recommended approach?

2) Logging improvements - our webapp business level code logs to the
underlying log system via apache commons logging - is it possible to have
Velocity log to commons logging automatically also, or does this require a
custom implementation of LogChute?

3) I notice that JDOM 1.0 is a dependency now.  We are still on beta9 - what
would be the potential side effects of not upgrading?  Of course I'd like to
upgrade to 1.0 but that may not be an option.

thanks for your help.

--
Peter Locke
Senior Engineer / Dev Lead

t: 250.412.3240
f: 250.475-6014
e: [EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--
P.S. I'm currently reading Rainbow Six
<http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?bx=off&sts=t&ds=30&bi=0&an=Tom