wamug@wamug.org.au

Re: I'm about to give up... Neil Houghton Thu Feb 16 03:01:07 2012

Hi Peter,

I just went through the same exercise for Georgie's mum, Wendy (now 91). She
had a VERY slow Vista machine and since we visit often I decided to take up
my 24" iMac (now I'm on a nice 27"). The iMac already has accounts for
Georgie & I so I set up a new account for Wendy. I didn't have the requisite
cables to make a network connection to the PC, but the data involved would
happily fit on a USB thumbdrive I had - so that was the way I went.

The iMac has Office 2004 on it and I tend to use Entourage for my email but
decided to set up Apple Mail for Wendy. I set-up her account and then I had
expected to be able to import the emails into Mail but, like you, found that
that did not work.

My solution, like you, was to use an intermediate email program - however I
used Entourage - since it was already on the machine & I am used to it.

To my surprise, it actually worked very well.

>From memory I created an entourage account and created the folders I wanted
and then just dragged the eml files into the appropriate folders. Then I
opened Mail and used the File> Import Mailboxes command - which worked fine.
Of course, with Mai:
> Your imported mail is stored in a new mailbox called ³Import.² To reorganize
> imported messages, create new mailboxes and drag folders and messages from the
> Import mailbox to other mailboxes. When you¹re done, you can delete the Import
> mailbox.

Then, because I didn't want Wendy to get confused with emails in two
different programs, I deleted her Main Identity file from the Microsoft user
data (at this point she had not used the computer so there was no personal
Office info in there).

It actually sounds more fiddly than it was.

Of course you need to have Entourage on the Mac (though I expect Outlook
would work the same) - but if it was not part of the clients suite you could
do a temporary install and then uninstall - of course that is extra work ;o(

HTH

Cheers

Neil
--