xen-users@lists.xensource.com

Re: [Xen-users] Server Compatibility Advice Request Fajar A. Nugraha Tue Feb 21 05:00:39 2012

On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 6:44 PM, Ted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> We have decided to go with XCP for test environment on the older hw and
> XenServer on the new hw to minimize all the risk. Since XCP and XenServer
> are quite similar at large, hope that this combination will work for us.

I'm not sure why you don't just use xenserver for both. Xenserver is
also available in free edition. That way your "dev" environment (will
the "old" server mainly act as dev/backup?) will closely match
"production".

Unless of course you have some specific requirements for XCP, like you
need the new features there.

> biggest concern now is to look at a storage server that goes well with this
> environment. since we need something really fast enough, its a tough
> choice.

It depends.

netapp (or something in that class) is the obvious choise for
enterprise setup, but it's also obviously expensive.

if you want absolute bang-for-buck, a common rackmount server with
lots of internal SAS disk (e.g. 16) running either linux or
openindiana+nappit, exporting  the storage as iscsi, should do the
trick.

Somewhere in the middle is nexentastor. It's a well-supported
commercial product, with lots of certified hardware (e.g. supermicro,
dell, HP) to choose from.

> vspehere is far too expensive to consider, so lets stick to XCP and
> XenServer :)

vsphere also has a free version, you know :)

It's limited (IIRC max number of  CPU and memory you can assign to a
guest), but should be enough for your hardware.

> anything else that we should be aware of, before taking the deep dive?

Lost of test :)

--
Fajar