xsan-users@lists.apple.com

RE: LUN with exclamation pont Kushal Shah Tue Jul 19 23:00:43 2011

Hi Paul

Till the time LUN is not detected on all the machines you won't be able to
setup any XSAN Volumes.
Best way to check in the Promise GUI if there is  Mapping which is only
allowing to connect to one MDC
And also check in Qlogic Switch if any Zoning which have been set previously
is not allowing LUN to be detected
On the hosts.

Kushal

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf
Of Paul Thompson
Sent: 20 July 2011 07:06
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: LUN with exclamation pont

  Hi,

  I have a SAN that I am trying to set up again.  It is 4 LUN San spread
across 3 Promise VTrak E610f units, connected to two interconnected QLogic
5600 switches.  The fibre cables that connect everything are 4Gbps each.
There are 4 XServes connected to it.  Two are strictly the Metadata
controllers, two are clients.  They are all running OS X 10.6.8, with XSan
2.2.1.  Our SAN was working until we replaced our old XServe RAID units with
a new Promise unit.  We stopped the SAN, destroyed it, uninstalled XSan and
the reinstalled XSan and tried to set it up.

  At first XSan admin would not see the new LUN.  So, after a little
research, I ran the command of :

sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/disk-id bs=1m count=200

  against it.  Now, XSan admin would see it and let me label it.  The issue
that I am running into is that the new LUN has an exclamation point beside
it, and when I try to add it to the SAN, I receive the warning "LUN's not
visible to all controllers."  It tells me to check the fibre channel cables,
or choose a different LUN.

  The only place that the new LUN is visible is in disk utility and system
profiler on the main MDC.  On the other machines it doesn't show up.

  Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this?  Currently there
isn't any live data on the SAN, so I am not worried if I have to redo it.

  Thank you in advance,

  Paul

This email sent to [EMAIL PROTECTED]