ietf-sasl

Re: Poll: use of TLS channel bindings in SCRAM Nicolas Williams Fri May 29 16:00:32 2009

On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 06:02:39PM -0400, Jeffrey Hutzelman wrote:
> --On Friday, May 29, 2009 02:47:39 PM -0700 Kurt Zeilenga
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >I am a bit concerned that that current proposal might preclude certain
> >negotiation strategies from consideration as they would be difficult to
> >retrofit in.   In particular, I am concerned that the current proposal
> >might preclude purely in-the-mechanism-exchange negotiation of channel
> >binding types.
>
> You mean, a strategy in which each mechanism is responsible for managing
> negotiation of channel binding types, and we don't get to do that
> negotiation until after we've selected a mechanism?

That's not quite my interpretation of what Kurt wants.  Kurt is not
being terribly clear.  His primary goal is clearly to allow for YAP and
its dependence on unique channel binding types.

> It does preclude it for GS2/SCRAM, short of modifying the mechanism, but I

No, it doesn't -- I think you misinterpreted Kurt's comment.