log4j-dev

Re: log4j 1.2.16 RC1: last call for bugs Curt Arnold Wed May 13 20:00:43 2009

On May 13, 2009, at 6:19 AM, Jess Holle wrote:

Curt Arnold wrote:

Sorry hadn't followed that one. It seems like a good replacement for some not ready for primetime code that has been in log4j for a while. However, since it is all new code and not any modifications to existing log4j classes, it would make a good candidate for a log4j companion. In a perfect world, they should be able to rev faster than the main log4j release.

I'll see about packing that up in the sandbox as a companion and see if we can get any feedback on it.
Agreed. I'd long since given up on this being fixed and written my own JMX monitoring classes for log4j.

Given use cases like usage of log4j on the client, I'd rather not shove new JMX monitoring classes into the main log4j jar. Instead providing these in an optional companion jar makes much more sense.

[For that matter given the state of the JMX classes that are present, it would be good to remove those...]

--
Jess Holle

Can't yank it from log4j.jar without potentially breaking some app that actually uses it, but could mark it as deprecated and suggest checking the jmx companion.