logwatch-devel

Re: [Logwatch-Devel] running too much instances of perl in parallel Mike Tremaine Thu Jun 11 07:00:56 2009

Ivana Varekova wrote:
Hello,
I just get a bug-report - which complains about the multiple instances of perl running at one time:

"I noticed on F10 x86_64 machine that logwatch runs 10 perl instances and moves my AMD CPU temp to 90 C.

I agree with the bug reporter. The number of perl instances especially for /var/log/messages logfile is huge. So could the number of perl calls be reduce?
I have two ideas what could be done:
1/ add the possibility to call shared scripts with several parameters (logwatch does not need to go through the log file multiple times)and the number of perl script decrease. 2/ shared perl scipt transfer to perl procedures - so there will be no need to call another perl instance. What is your opinion? Is any of these solutions acceptable for? Or do you have any other idea how to solve this problem?
Thanks.
Ivana Varekova
_

This comes from these config lines is conf/shared/messages.conf

messages.conf:*RemoveService = talkd
messages.conf:*RemoveService = telnetd
messages.conf:*RemoveService = inetd
messages.conf:*RemoveService = nfsd
messages.conf:*RemoveService = /sbin/mingetty
messages.conf:*RemoveService = netscreen
messages.conf:*RemoveService = NetScreen

If you re-write this as

*RemoveService = (talkd|telnetd|inetd|nfsd|/sbin/mingetty|netscreen|NetScreen)

It should work without changes....

However it would be nice if the shared scripts would build that regex for you from a CSV list

*RemoveService = talkd,telnetd,etc....

I don't think it would be hard let me take a look.

-Mike