mythtv-users

Re: [mythtv-users] Fedora 11 and lirc Jarod Wilson Thu Jun 25 09:01:45 2009

On Jun 25, 2009, at 11:26 AM, Tom Dexter wrote:

On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 10:13 AM, Jarod Wilson<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Some misc lirc notes for Fedora 11 users:

3) lirc_serial appears to be broken. I swear it worked last I tried it, but its been a while. For the record, I think lirc_serial is rather grotty code, and everyone should stay away from it and use something usb-based instead. I
still intend to look at it and get it fixed though.

I have vehemently disagree with that statement, and I think it's
seriously misguided advise to posting, especially without any
explanation.

Um, "is rather grotty code" *was* my explanation. Seriously. Have you *looked* at the lirc_serial code?

But if you insist, how 'bout these for further explanation:

- requires disabling the standard serial port driver
- no auto-loading when receiver is connected
- next to nil device type auto-detection (see multitude of modparam options) - requires directly polling pins on the serial interface, not interrupt driven - hard-coded such that is only works on traditional com1/com2, can't be used with a serial add-on card or a usb-serial adapter

I've used lirc_serial on countless machines long before
I used MythTV...going back over seven years.  I don't recall ever
having an issue with it.

I've been using it on my current MythTV frontend for two years now
under Gentoo over more kernels than I can count...currently on 2.6.28.

My original mail said the code was nasty, not that it didn't work (in the non-Fedora 11 release kernel case, anyway). I'm quite aware that it works for a lot of people. Doesn't change the fact that the code and the way it operates are craptastic.

Seems to me that most of the lirc problems I read about here are with
USB.  For me, the remote was one of the easiest things to get working
on my MythTV system.

I've seen more than plenty folks having problems with both lirc_serial and any number of usb-based receivers. To put it quite bluntly though, there are a lot of users out there that don't know wtf they're doing to begin with.

I can drop an lircd.conf in place, plug in a supported usb receiver, start lircd up, and it Just Works. No dicking around with the serial port, no manual module loading, no modparams, etc.

I stand by my statement that lirc_serial sucks.

--
Jarod Wilson