orbited-users

[Orbited] Re: Orbited + ActiveMQ vs ActiveMQ's ajax + ActiveMQ Mario Balibrera Wed Jun 17 02:01:01 2009

According to ActiveMQ's AjaxServlet page<http://activemq.apache.org/ajax.html>,
the official AMQ solution is polling. Orbited uses streaming in most cases,
and falls back to long-polling (using polling only for certain mobile
devices). This, I would say, is the major difference. Polling means higher
latency and greater resource consumption on the server.

On the other hand, if you go with AMQ polling, you won't have to install
Python or Twisted, which just might save you a battle with IT (I've worked
with sysadmins who don't allow Python!). Also, you'll only have to run one
server, which could conceivably simplify deployment.

-mario