postfix-devel

Re: Caching TLS connections (XSTOPTLS) Wietse Venema Thu Jun 25 09:02:20 2009

Victor Duchovni:
> I'd like to propose a Postfix-specific ESMTP feature that would
> enable the caching of TLS connections by disabling crypto on
> the session before putting it into the cache, and re-enabling
> crypto right after.

So, the use case is that a connection was used by process X, and
reused by a different process Y.

Can you quantify the gains, in terms of of long-distance network
roundtrips? Assuming that the DNS lookup is cached on-site, the
gain would be the TCP-level handshake.  What else?

        Wietse