spotlight-dev

Discovering the status of Spotlight indexing ymeroz Thu Apr 23 04:01:30 2009

I am working on an app which executes an MDQuery under Carbon. Currently I
run it once, in sync mode. If I run it during the initial indexing of a
volume (which typically takes hours), the application hangs in the
MDQueryExecute call (presumably until indexing is finished).

I can use an async call and let the results trickle in, but that is still
not ideal. I would like to be able to discover that this indexing is still
going on and inform the user to try later (perhaps even with a time
estimate), just as the Spotlight desktop app does.

How can I do this programmatically (under 10.4.x and above)?