spree-user

[spree-user] Re: Returning 404 when object not found? Stephanie Powell Tue Jun 23 09:00:39 2009

Interesting, I just read an article about this:
http://www.seomoz.org/blog/are-404-pages-always-bad-for-seo

The article discusses a few solutions from the SEO perspective:
1) 301 everything back to the home page or an internal category page
2) 404 for all erroneous/mistyped urls
3) hybrid of #1 and #2

I don't think there is one catchall solution for all ecomm sites. Some
sites may have items that fluctuate in and out of stock and a 301 would
be inappropriate (302 instead). Other sites may only sell items for a
brief time and would benefit from 301-ing to the most related internal
category page to preserve all link juice. I think a hybrid solution that
is easily configurable would be best for spree.

A while back I documented some SEO improvements that should be made for
Spree. Perhaps I'll dig up the email and post it up here so folks can
help contribute if possible.