xsan-users

Re: 750GB ADMs no longer in Apple's store? Christopher Waltham Thu May 28 08:01:00 2009

On May 28, 2009, at 10:28 AM, David Michael Bryson wrote:

As far as I know, they have been discontinued. We had a large order of 750GB ATA ADMs on order for about 3-4 months waiting before we gave up. We have had good luck replacing the drives in existing modules with OEM Seagate ATA 750GB drives. However, even those seem to have been discontinued shortly after we ordered and are now unavailable. ATA drives are quickly becoming extinct.

Since then I have tried to develop a migration plan to phase out the Xserve RAIDs, but given our higher ed budget it is difficult to 'throw away' storage. Basically I am trying to move more important material to new systems and hope that our stash of spares holds us until replacements can be purchased down the road.

Ugh, that blows. David, have you looked at using any other kind of disk in your existing sleds? We don't want to throw away storage either (I'm also in education).

Chris